St Peter's Church, Clyffe Pypard
St Peter's Church, in the Parish of Clyffe Pypard is one of four churches within the Benefice of Woodhill, in the diocese of Salisbury. With well-established links with villages nearby, St Peter's Church enjoys the company of three other churches within the Benefice - St Lawrence at Hilmarton, St Giles at Tockenham and Christ Church, Broad Town.
Picture reproduced by kind permission © Katie Norman 2012 ' North Tower in Winter'
If you need to speak to someone in connection with the Church or its services please contact the following members of the PCC who will be happy to help (or will find the right person to help).
Rev'd Rachma Abbott (Chair) 01793 731134
Jan Hargrave 01249 890726
Our resident vicar is The Reverend Rachma
Abbott, Priest in Charge Woodhill Benefice
Rachma can be contacted at The Vicarage, Clyffe Pypard SN4 7PY 01793 731134
You can also search on http://www.achurchnearyou.com/clyffe-pypard-st-peter/
About the church
'In a lovely position below a wooded stretch of the cliff' Nikolaus Pevsner (The Buildings of England (Wiltshire)1963
The present church is a nineteenth century restoration of a mainly late fifthteenth century building. However the list of known vicars starts at 1304 and there is mention of a well-established Church on the same site in 1273.
There was substantial restoration beginning in or around 1873/4 which was responsible for the North wall being rebuilt and the ground around the Church itself being lowered. Most of the Church as we see it today is due, in no small part to the Goddard family who undertook the restoration, hence that a number of stained glass memorials are dedicated to members of the family. The Manor House next door was largely rebuilt c1880 for Horatio Nelson Goddard.
Another prominent local figure was Thomas Spackman. Thomas started life as a humble local carpenter but went on to amass a fortune in London. dying in 1785 and bestowing a considerable legacy to the Church, the remnants of which are still with us in the form of a small educational trust. A lifesize marble memorial of him at the West end of the South aisle serves as constant reminder. Nikolaus Pevsner wrote 'The monument displays plenty of tools of the carpenter's trade,a gratifying sight in an age of such snobbery in monuments'.
Also buried in the graveyard is Sir Nicolaus Pevsner, renowned achictectural historian and his wife Lola. We understand that the Pevsners enjoyed many country breaks in Wiltshire over the years, staying at a friend's cottage in Broad Town nearby. In 1973 he donated the entrance gates and railings to the Church in memory of his wife.